Transporting Dangerous Goods Legislation.

For companies involved in transporting dangerous goods such as chemicals or high pressure flammable materials, compliance to dangerous goods legislation is not negotiable. Failure to comply could lead to heavy fines, not to mention it could cause serious danger to the health and safety of employees and the environment. Below are some transporting dangerous goods legislation.

Key acts to follow pertaining to spill control:

  • Hazardous Substances Act Feb 1993- 10.5.2 –Transport -Page 97-98 – whereby it very explicitly states that in the event of a transport accident, emergency action must be taken to control and prevent further spillage. It goes on to state this type of emergency action is normally initiated by the driver.
  • South African National Standard (SANS) 10231-Transportation of dangerous goods – post loading checks – Point C: that the necessary safety equipment in accordance with the transport emergency cards is on board.
  • 4.4.4 Requirements that relate to the offloading operations – Page 11/12 – Point D 2: in the case of bulk deliveries the flow can be stopped immediately in the case of leakage or any other emergency. Point D 3: the vehicle is free from contamination.
  • Therefore some kind of spill control measure is a mandatory requirement on board vehicles of all sizes to comply with transporting dangerous goods legislation.

Some other basic vehicle compliance requirements:

  • Vehicle Placards and Trem Cards:
  1. All vehicles transporting dangerous goods are required by law to ensure that they have the appropriate placards. An orange diamond is also required to be clearly exhibited on the front of the vehicle. All placards must reflect either the applicable UN number. All placards must display an operator number and a specialist or emergency number.
  2. All vehicles transporting dangerous goods are required to have a TREM card per load on board. All Trem cards have to be the official SANS UN Index. Each Trem card must reflect the same operator and specialist number as per the placards. All Trem cards have to be kept in an orange document bag clearly visibly in the cab of the vehicle. According to SANS 10232 a Tremcard should be an A4 sized document with thick red borders. This is to identify it quickly in an emergency. It has to be located in the cab of the vehicle when the vehicle is carrying a dangerous load.
  • First Aid Kits and Fire Extinguishers:
  1. All heavy duty or transport vehicles are required to have a regulation vehicle first aid kit on board with the necessary personnel trained in first aid response.
  2. All Heavy duty or transport vehicles are required to have a fire extinguisher mounted on a bracket on board the vehicle with the necessary personnel trained in basic fire fighting response.

Shasa Group specialises in a wide range of spill containment products, such as absorbent material, absorbent booms, absorbent, socks. We supply oil spill kits, chemical spill kits, universal spill kits, hazmat spill kits. You can choose between spill kits in bins or in bags which are portable units. All regulation first aid kits are available as well as standard vehicle fire extinguishers and brackets.

We have the products that will ensure you are complying with transporting dangerous goods legislation. So give us a call on 011 7433076 or email us on for a comprehensive quote.